[R-SIG-Mac] Does preprocessCore do ppc64?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 13 18:00:36 CET 2007

The short answer is that the BioC binary packages are not 64-bit.  But
then neither is the CRAN build of R 2.6.1 nor the CRAN binary packages.

And very likely you are running a 32-bit R.

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007, Loren Engrav wrote:

> I tried
> options(arch="ppc64") in Rprofile
> and seems to have worked,

I am sure it 'worked' for some value of 'worked', but what do you think it
did?  You can't change the architecture of a running R process (and you
need a running R process to use R code ...).  You find out whether the
process is 64-bit by checking

.Machine$sizeof.pointer == 8

and R.version$arch will also indicate the architecture name (x86_64 on my
Macintel builds).

The sub-architecture (if any) of the running process is given by
.Platform$r_arch and the user cannot change it (it was set at configure
time).  From the output below, that is 'ppc'.  Not only do the
architectures need to match, but do the sub-architecture settings: this is
easy to achieve when building everything yourself, but not when taking
binaries built on different systems by different people at different
times.

So, it seems

- you are running a 32-bit R.
- you are missing a Fortran library.

Please do try to deduce from the output what the problem is, not guess and
never test your guesses.

> I think R.app is ppc64 in Leopard

The CRAN build of 2.6.1 is not, and you haven't told us which build you
are using.

AFAIK if you want 64-bit, you need to build packages from sources.

How to set all this up is AFAIK not fully documented, for the very good
reason that it is *experimental*.  My understanding is that it is intended
to support 64-bit MacOS binary builds from R 2.7.0 only.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk