[R-SIG-Mac] R.app ?bug or me

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Sun Dec 9 02:13:42 CET 2007

I notice that 4.3.3 says"

"Finally it is possible to use a specific directory for a single
R session by dragging a folder onto the R.app icon. If R.app
is not runnig, this will cause R.app to be started in the
directory corresponding to the folder dragged. The same
can be achieved on the command line - for example
open -a R . causes R.app to be started using the current
directory as the startup working directory."

The final statement seems incorrect, at all events without
some further pre-conditions:

At the terminal:

  ch2$ pwd
  /Users/johnm/r/ch2
  ch2$ ls -lt .RData
  -rw-r--r--  1 johnm  johnm  2980  9 Dec 11:31 .RData
  ch2$ open -a R

At the R console that is started:

  > getwd()
  [1] "/Users/johnm/r"
  > sessionInfo()
  R version 2.6.1 (2007-11-26)
  i386-apple-darwin8.10.1

  locale:
  en_AU.UTF-8/en_AU.UTF-8/en_AU.UTF-8/C/en_AU.UTF-8/en_AU.UTF-8

  attached base packages:

Incidentally is making copies of R.app an appropriate way to
allow multiple simultaneous sessions of the R Gui? Or is there
some more direct way to achieve this?

John Maindonald.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.