[R-SIG-Mac] R.app ?bug or me

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sun Dec 9 00:57:14 CET 2007

On Dec 8, 2007, at 6:37 PM, Loren Engrav wrote:

> Using Mac 10.4.11
> And sessionInfo() say
>
>> sessionInfo()
> R version 2.6.1 (2007-11-26)
> powerpc-apple-darwin8.10.1
>
> locale:
> en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8
>
> attached base packages:
>

> Directory is ABC and history is XYZ
> So I change directory to FGH and history to QRS
> Then I quit R and say save workspace
>
> Then I start R
> And am back to workspace ABC and history XYZ

Well, if ABC and XYZ is in home and you didn't change the default
settings and started R.app directly then that is exactly as expected.

> Would seem I should be at FGH and QRS

Why? That would be quite bad as FGH and QRS have nothing to do with
your home. The whole point of changing a directory is usually exactly
the fact that you don't want to overwrite the workspace in your home.

> What am I missing? Is it staring me in the face and I cannot see it?

I'd say reading 4.3.3 in the R for Mac FAQ may possibly explain this a
bit ...

PS: Please use R-SIG-Mac for Mac-specific questions.