[R-SIG-Mac] FAQ? Mac distributed/multiple processor solutions?

Rob Forsyth r.j.forsyth at newcastle.ac.uk
Tue Dec 4 09:52:49 CET 2007

I felt this must be an FAQ but I don't see it anywhere: my apologies
if I've missed it.

I have what I believe is known as an "embarrassingly parallel"
problem comprising a large number of repetitions of a single
(lengthy) calculation that generates a boolean result and I am simply
interested in the final proportion of true to false runs. This
obviously lends itself to parallel computation and I'd appreciate Mac-
specific pointers to both simple distributed and multiple-processor
options here. I am working on an iMac G5 and could access (at home -
i.e. not on a LAN) another G5 and a G4. I've come across the R/MPI
package but would appreciate advice as to how easy this is to set up
(would it actually be simpler to divide the job "manually"?).
Alternatively I have an option to acquire a MacPro for this work and
would appreciate guidance as to whether it's possible to leverage
multiple processors?  I'm aware R itself is not currently
multithreaded (whilst having only a lay understanding of what that
means).