[R-SIG-Mac] compilers for R-2.5.0

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Apr 6 05:56:42 CEST 2007

On Apr 5, 2007, at 9:07 PM, Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:

> R-2.5.0 is soon to be released. From comments on this mailing list
> it seems that the default compiler will move from a custom install
> of GCC-4.0.3/gfortran to the version of GCC 4.0.1 supplied with
> Xcode 2.4.1 together with a gfortran compiler from say
> hpc.sourceforge.
>
> In preparation for the new release, would it be possible to release
> the compiler specifications (especially the gfortran build, if what
> I assume above is correct). I would like to start to test build R
> and my packages/code and it does not make sense to do so with the
> wrong compilers.

Please read the R for Mac website (http://r.research.att.com/) - it
has all the details (for some time now). Specifically go to

http://r.research.att.com/tools/

to get the recommended gfortran compiler (if you package contains
Fortran code or you want to build your own R). This is also the
compiler that is used for the R-2.5.0 alpha builds that are available
from the same site and hopefully people are testing it by now ;). The
HPC compiler doesn't work for us, because it's not universal.