[R-SIG-Mac] compilers for R-2.5.0

Fri Apr 6 03:07:36 CEST 2007

R-2.5.0 is soon to be released. From comments on this mailing list it
seems that the default compiler will move from a custom install of
GCC-4.0.3/gfortran to the version of GCC 4.0.1 supplied with Xcode
2.4.1 together with a gfortran compiler from say hpc.sourceforge.

In preparation for the new release, would it be possible to release
the compiler specifications (especially the gfortran build, if what I
assume above is correct). I would like to start to test build R and
my packages/code and it does not make sense to do so with the wrong
compilers.

To be more precise I maintain a package (affxparser from
Bioconductor) which does not work on Intel Macs, using the CRAN
compilers. It seems to be a conflict between the libraries supplied
for the CRAN GCC version and the system libraries and it was a rather
difficult task to track it down. It did disappear when we tried
compiling with Xcode 2.4.1 and a gfortran from hpc.sourceforge,
indication that the bug "should" be fixed in the new R version. It is
this "should", I want to investigate. But I assume other people wants
to start their testing.

Kasper