[R-SIG-Mac] R crashes on opening of script

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Sep 28 16:42:13 CEST 2006

On Sep 26, 2006, at 10:31 PM, alpinemappingguild at earthlink.net wrote:

> Map PowerBook G4
> OSX 10.4.7
> R Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01) 3819
>
> New user here, some positive experience with R in Windows O/S, but
> so far no luck with Mac version.

I'm sorry about that - the GUI version you are using (3819) was
experimental and has a rather nasty bug in the document handling.
Although updating the GUI to the latest development version is
usually recommended as it contains bug fixes, occasionally it can
happen that we actually introduce one in the process of fixing
another one.

> Installed R but experiencing persistent and repeated crashes when
> trying to open script files or creating a new. empty document from
> the console or using File>new document. Application waits a few
> seconds, then SBOD, then crash.

Thanks, this should be fixed now in the revision 3825 of the GUI - it
will be available from the nightly builds website ( http://
r.research.att.com ) tonight.

> Not sure how to retrieve crash report but any help would be much
> appreciated.

There are two ways to get a crash report. The first one is simple -
when an application crashes, OS X asks you whether you want to send a
report to Apple. Say "yes" and it will show you a window with the
full report - don't click on "Send to Apple", just copy the text of
the report and send it to us instead.

If you had a crash and want to see the report later, go to
Application -> Utilities -> Console. If you don't see a list of logs
on the left, click on "Logs" in the toolbar. Unfold ~/Library/Logs
and there CrashReporter and then look for R.crash.log. It will have
all your crashes, so look for the recent one.

Thanks,
Simon

PS: Please use real name in your posts when possible, anonymous post
or posts using obscure e-mail names tend to be dismissed or ignored
more readily.