[R-SIG-Mac] Error loading grDevices.so

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Sep 22 20:15:41 CEST 2006

Gene,

thanks. This is not good, because it appears that Apple ships yet a
different version of the OS with Mac Pros and that breaks our R
binary. Unfortunately I don't have an access to a Mac Pro, so I can't
really help you directly :(.

The crucial line is this:
dyld: loaded: /usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib, cpu-sub-type: 0
dyld: loaded: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib/libstdc++.
6.dylib, cpu-sub-type: 0

libobjc is loading the wrong stdc++ library in your system. On my
system (8.7.1) get the correct result:

dyld: loaded: /usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib, cpu-sub-type: 3
dyld: loaded: /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib, cpu-sub-type: 3
dyld: loaded: /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib, cpu-sub-type: 3

Can you, please, verify which library it is supposed to load on your
system? This is what I get on mine:
imac86:$ otool -L /usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib
/usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib:
         /usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
current version 227.0.0)
         /usr/lib/libauto.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 1.0.0)
         /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
current version 1.0.0)
         /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
current version 88.1.3)

If you get a different result, it could be possibly a bug in your OS
X - please let me know.

Thanks,
Simon