[R-SIG-Mac] RSwitch - making it easier to test pre-release versions of R

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Sep 20 20:00:16 CEST 2006

On Sep 20, 2006, at 10:51 AM, Rob J Goedman wrote:

> Thanks Simon,
> On Sep 19, 2006, at 4:59 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
>> Rob,
>> On Sep 19, 2006, at 7:30 PM, Rob J Goedman wrote:
>>> Could another way of using RSwitch be between two identical
>>> versions of R, i.e. what triggers the list that shows up?
>> It is simply the list of directories in /Library/R.framework/Versions
> That was the 1st thing I tried, but a newly created, empty
> directory does not do the trick (show up in the list, it wouldn't
> really work of course).

RSwitch is not that dumb ;), it's looking inside for Resources to
make sure that it's not just a random directory.

> Duplicating an existing version branch does work though, so in the
> future I'll create a copy just before populating a newly installed
> version branch.

If you want to move a branch, copying is not enough, because all
library paths are hard-coded in the binaries, so they'll be picking
up the wrong version. You'll have to use install_name_tool to change
them for all .so and .dylib. Also, CRAN binaries work only in the
default location (unless you massage it with install_name_tool again).

I would really use FW_VERSION for custom framework location if you
plan to use source packages.