[R-SIG-Mac] built-in editor underlining

Rob J Goedman goedman at mac.com
Mon Sep 18 17:04:58 CEST 2006

Hi JiHO,

In general there are 3 ways of achieving this 1) part of R.app, as
the current internal editor, 2) part of an existing editor that
supports this kind of functionality like BBEdit/TextWrangler and
TextMate, or 3) editors that do not support executing AppleScript or
Perl/Bash/Python directly.

For those editors, e.g. Smultron and SubEthaEdit, I have used a
product like iKey, which allows you to define a global 'hot' key that
activates AppleScript for you. In those cases it is not good to use
Command-E for source file as this is used too often. I tend to use
F12 and Command-Return for source
file and execute selection.

I rarely use the internal editor for the very few cases where R.app
still crashes (at the moment I see that only with certain Lattice
graphics when I make them full screen). Unfortunately you then loose
the function prompt (which I still use on the R Console, but is more
typing). On the other hand, you do get project file grouping,
multiple syntax definitions and a recent example Byron Ellis gave for
TextMate, the ability to build a package from within a project. I
think that kind of extensibility is extremely useful.

Rob