[R-SIG-Mac] built-in editor underlining

Graham Watt-Gremm sunyata at uvic.ca
Sun Sep 17 16:29:52 CEST 2006

Hi there,
I agree with Jörg's approach of using a highly capable external
editor. For longer scripts I also found the R editor to be quite slow
to catch up sometimes. I use jedit to manage my source files for each
of my projects (beautifully handles syntax for all my shell scripts,
sql, latex and R/S code, among many other languages). I also keep an
annotated ``transcript'' of when I am working interactively, for
which chunks of code can be passed from jedit to R. jedit also has a
beautiful project management approach, where you can collect your
different source files into organized sidebars, create a hyperlinked
search result sidebar from a search across all of your source files
in the project or directory, etc. And for those who have called it a
memory hog, it works equally fast on my ti-12in powerbook (640 mb
ram) and my dual G5 (4gb ram). Plus it's free and open source, like R.

cheers
Graham