[R-SIG-Mac] RSwitch - making it easier to test pre-release versions of R

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Sep 13 17:04:29 CEST 2006

In case you didn't know it is possible to have multiple R versions
installed on your Mac. The R framework uses a versioning system that
can keep multiple R versions in parallel at /Library/Frameworks/
R.framework/Versions
You can change the current version by setting the "Current" symlink
there. For those as lazy as me there is now a small GUI tool now
available at
http://r.research.att.com/
(on the bottom) which I call RSwitch and it allows you to change the
current R version in one click. Since we are getting close to the
beta stage of the next release, the best use of it is once you
install the current alpha/beta version of R to switch between the pre-
release and your old R version as necessary.

Note: even if you switch the current R version, you will still need
to use the corresponding version of the GUI as well, otherwise
strange things will happen. Switching versions while R is running can
also have undesirable effects if you try to load packages after the
change as they will be loaded from the wrong version of R, so use
with care.