[R-SIG-Mac] snow cluster - unable to open connection

Martin Renner rennerm at u.washington.edu
Wed Sep 6 18:28:17 CEST 2006

Thank you for the replies, Luke and Sean!

turning off the firewall on each and every machine did finally allow
me to start the cluster across all my machines. Keeping the firewall
on would be desirable, however. Using tcp wrappers I can restrict
access to local IPs - although I loose the bonjour-names
(machineA.local, etc - need to use IP numbers instead). When the
firewall is turned on, the console.log records "Firewall Tool: Error,
Start Port (600011) invalid!" when trying to start the cluster. I've
tried to open tcp port 600011, but that didn't help. If someone
figures out how to work snow with the firewall left intact, please
let me know.  Nevertheless, my snow cluster is working now - big
thank-you to Luke Tierney et al. for snow!

Cheers,
Martin

Martin Renner
Postdoctoral Fellow
University of Washington
School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences
PO Box 355020
Seattle, WA 98195-5020, USA

current address:
Alaska Maritime NWR               907-235 6546 (work)
95 Sterling Highway, Suite 1      907-235-7783 (fax)
Homer, AK 99603, USA