[R-SIG-Mac] R EPS graphics and PDFs from Word Documents

Smith, Daniel (DHS-DEODC-EHIB) DSmith2 at dhs.ca.gov
Tue Nov 7 18:00:30 CET 2006

PostScript,
> > > and then convert the resulting PostScript file back to PDF using
> > > Preview, I get the graphics the way they should be. I can see them
on
> > > screen, and so can anyone else. I can print them on one of my
> > > PostScript printers, but when folks on Windows go to print these
PDFs
> > > to a PCL printer the output is a string of Ss. I then tried taking
> > > the PS files and converting them to PDFs using ghostscript (ESP's
OS
> > > X port of gs 7.07 available from Gimp-Print). This causes all the
> > > graphics to come through properly, but the text is gibberish. I
did
> > > get what appears to be a clean conversion via CERN's document
service
> > > (but in A4, which is a problem in Canada and the US).
> > >
> > > Has anyone run into this problem and discovered the work-around
that
> > > seems to be eluding me?
> > >
> > > Dan

> Microsoft Word does not handle EPS nor PDF graphics properly. If you
> want to embed your graphic in a word document, the best option is to
> save as jpeg from R. The quality of the figure is good enough.
>
> However, if you are working for a publication, then most probably they
> will be asking for a EPS. In that case, wrote your paper in Word and
> do not try to insert the figures in the document. Send them as both
> EPS and PDF individual files instead.
>
> I do think that the best option for a paper is to use LaTeX. The best
> figures in R are generated using postscript (EPS) which can be
> inserted very well on LaTeX documents.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Jose A. Garcia, Ph.D.
> Keck Graduate Institute
> 535 Watson Drive
> Claremont, CA 91711
> (909)-607-9254

I have had the best results saving the R graphic as pdf (default), then
using Apple's Preview program to convert it to png.  When pasted into
Word or PowerPoint, the png graphic can be resized, opened in Windows,
etc. and still looks good.

Daniel Smith, Dr.P.H.
Environmental Health Investigations Branch
California Department of Health Services