[R-SIG-Mac] R EPS graphics and PDFs from Word Documents

Michael Kubovy kubovy at virginia.edu
Mon Nov 6 01:33:52 CET 2006

On Nov 3, 2006, at 7:32 PM, Dan Putler wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> This is likely to be viewed as being at the margins of acceptable for
> this list, but I've run into an issue that I can't find a way around.
> Specifically, I'm working with a Windows based co-author, who is also
> MS Word based. So far I've found that we get the best graphic quality
> using EPS graphic files created by R. The problem is that when I just
> use the standard way of getting a PDF of the Word document by saving
> the file as a PDF in the main print dialog, the resulting PDF has the
> grayed warning box indicating that the graphic can't be seen on
> screen. If I instead use the option to convert the PDF to PostScript,
> and then convert the resulting PostScript file back to PDF using
> Preview, I get the graphics the way they should be. I can see them on
> screen, and so can anyone else. I can print them on one of my
> PostScript printers, but when folks on Windows go to print these PDFs
> to a PCL printer the output is a string of Ss. I then tried taking
> the PS files and converting them to PDFs using ghostscript (ESP's OS
> X port of gs 7.07 available from Gimp-Print). This causes all the
> graphics to come through properly, but the text is gibberish. I did
> get what appears to be a clean conversion via CERN's document service
> (but in A4, which is a problem in Canada and the US).

Have you considered using Graphic Converter <http://www.lemkesoft.com/
en/index.htm> ?
_____________________________
Professor Michael Kubovy
University of Virginia
Department of Psychology
USPS:     P.O.Box 400400    Charlottesville, VA 22904-4400
Parcels:    Room 102        Gilmer Hall
         McCormick Road    Charlottesville, VA 22903
Office:    B011    +1-434-982-4729
Lab:        B019    +1-434-982-4751
Fax:        +1-434-982-4766
WWW:    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mk9y/