[R-SIG-Mac] R multi-cpu and 64 bit

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Thu Nov 2 13:51:18 CET 2006

Using SNOW, or MPI, or some careful batch programming to split up your
tasks across CPUs - yes.

This is the same sort of thing you'd likely face in Stata -- unless
they've invested a HUGE amount of effort in making threaded/parallelized
computations "easier".

generally it makes the most sense to leave those optimizations to
the person running the statistics - they're in a place to
understand where to optimize things for their problem set.

--elijah