[R-SIG-Mac] R multi-cpu and 64 bit

David Airey david.airey at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Nov 2 13:25:46 CET 2006

R as is just great for me. I also use Stata 9 which is also a great
environment. I'm not a statistician. I will be in the market for a
new computer in January, and our data sets are getting very large--
microarrays. Certainly, R has much more development via Bioconductor
in this area. But I think it will be interesting to compare
performance on something like the pending 8 cpu Mac Pro with the
multiple CPU 64 bit version of Stata (only a grant can afford that),
with R. So here's my question. Is R already capable of taking
advantage of more than one core?

--
David C. Airey, Ph.D.
Research Assistant Professor