[R-SIG-Mac] Link needed to use beta test build of R-2.3.1

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Sun May 28 00:04:18 CEST 2006

I downloaded the universal nightly build of R-patched from
http://r.research.att.com/, which identifies itself as

Version 2.3.1 RC (2006-05-26 r38204)

After installing it on an Intel Mac I found that I couldn't run it
because it tried to dyld a library that wasn't present.  I played
around with removing and installing the gcc403 package a bit then
realized that it was a matter of the name and could be solved by
adding a symlink

cd /usr/local/gcc4.0
sudo mkdir i686-apple-darwin8
cd i686-apple-darwin8
sudo ln -s ../lib .

The problem is that the name /usr/local/gcc4.0/i686-apple-darwin/lib
is hardwired in the i686 executable but that directory is not
installed by the gcc403 package.