[R-SIG-Mac] Performance Issues.

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed May 17 18:17:04 CEST 2006

On May 17, 2006, at 6:25 AM, Ken Beath wrote:

> On 17/05/2006, at 8:00 PM, Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek at r-
> project.org> wrote:
>>
>> We had a discussion about this earlier, it started with
>> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2006-March/002722.html
>>
>> What it boils down to is that ptATLAS can give you a good speed-up,
>> but it can also screw you up by calling malloc/free all the time - it
>> depends on the task. For single core CPUs it's definitely better to
>> use R's own BLAS. For Core Duos it depends on the size of the problem
>> - for bigger problems ptATLAS is better, for smaller problems
>> internal BLAS may be better.
>>
>> In a quiet minute I'll try to run our benchmarks with Lea's allocator
>> and see if it would make sense to use it for OS X.
>>

> A posting from the Scitech mailing list may be of interest.

Yes, thanks, I know - that's why we started the whole discussion in
the first place. On i686 vecLib is just single-threaded ATLAS so it's
the worst solution of all (it exhibits the same malloc/free problem
as ptATLAS but without any speed up potential) - that's why the CRAN
binary supplies ptATLAS. So the real options don't include vecLib, we
are talking ptATLAS vs. internal BLAS here. Of course, we hope that
Apple will supply a more reasonable vecLib at some point - they did a
very good job with vecLib and G5 - but that's probably a distant future.