[R-SIG-Mac] how does one dyn.load dylib shared libraries?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu May 11 04:03:28 CEST 2006

On May 10, 2006, at 1:02 PM, Richard Tabor wrote:

> I am running 2.1.0 and am using the IBMXL Fortran Compiler.  It
> has .a  and .dylib libraries which do not seem to load with dyn.load
> ().

How are you compiling them? I don't see how you can get either .a
or .dylib using R CMD SHLIB, so my guess is that it has nothing to do
with the compiler but with the way you compile the sources. On OS X
package libs are neither dynamic libraries (.dylib) nor static
libraries (.a) - they are bundles. The compilation shouldn't matter
and if in doubt you should be able to use gcc for the linking step in
case the IBM compiler is not compatible.

> Is there a way to load these libraries or convert them to .so's?

There is no converting, you should get the right .so directly
otherwise you're doing something wrong. Please tell us more precisely
what you're doing.