[R-SIG-Mac] Mac as R platform

Jason Liao jg_liao at yahoo.com
Fri May 5 18:07:56 CEST 2006

Good morning. I am considering buying a new computer to develop an R
package for multi-dimensional Monte Carlo simulation. One requirement
is to call, from R, a Fortran 90 program about 1000 lines of code. A
C++ version of that program is also available if desired.  Will the new
Core Duo Mac be a good development platform in the sense that I will
not need to struggle with too many technicalities in linking R with the
compiled code? I am asking this because I saw that the binary Mac R
distribution in fact has compilers bundled in it. I currently work
mostly on Windows and was told that I will have a lot to download and
configure if developing on Windows.

Thanks in advance.

Jason Liao, http://www.geocities.com/jg_liao
Dept. of Biostatistics, http://www2.umdnj.edu/bmtrxweb
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
683 Hoes Lane West, Piscataway‚ NJ 08854
phone 732-235-5429, School of Public Health office
phone 732-235-9824, Cancer Institute of New Jersey office