[R-SIG-Mac] [Rd] R 2.3.0 and rgl on OS X 10.4.6 (PR#8833)

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sat May 6 03:50:03 CEST 2006

Neely,

as Duncan was saying R-SIG-Mac is a better place to discuss it.

On May 4, 2006, at 2:08 PM, eatkinso at mdanderson.org wrote:

> I just downloaded and installed R 2.3.0 on my Mac G5 running OS X
> 10.4.6. I also updated with R.app revision 3114 as ecommended. Now,
> when I attemp to use package rgl
> I get the error
>
>> library(rgl)
> Error: package 'rgl' is not installed for 'arch=ppc'

This usually means that you have an old package for R 2.2.0 and you
are trying to use it in R 2.3.0. *)

> I have tried reinstalling from CRAN using both binary and source.
> The source install fails, The binary install yields

AFAIR rgl is currently broken, so there is no binary:
http://r.research.att.com/reports/tiger-universal/results/2.3.0/html/
rgl.report.html
I remember fixing this a while ago - it wasn't as simple as casting,
because the structures are wrong, but I'll see if I can dig out the fix.

> The same problem occurs with some packages (e1071, svmpath) but not
> others (gdata, gplots, gtools).

My guess is that you forgot to re-install them (or you have old local
packages somewhere). This happens most often if you install libraries
in your home directory. On OS X it's usually much safer to use system-
wide packages, because that prevents cross-version problems, version-
confusion and the GUI allows you to re-install them automatically.
That doesn't work for your local packages in home.

*) - for completeness, you also get this error if you install a
binary that was not built for the universal R or if the ppc
architecture build failed. However, neither should not happen with
CRAN binaries.