[R-SIG-Mac] Ghostscript and R

James Milks james.milks at wright.edu
Sun Mar 26 15:47:58 CEST 2006

I'm a new subscriber, so please forgive me if this has come up before.
First, here's my technical details:

Mac OS 10.4.5
R: 2.2.1; R Cocoa GUI 1.14 (2129)
X 11 1.1-XFree 86 4.4.0
Ghostscript 8.5.0

I need to create bitmaps of tree distributions to import into Benoit (a
fractal dimensions analysis program).  For this purpose, I've downloaded
Ghostscript 8.5.0 and installed it in the Applications folder on my hard
drive.  However, I cannot get R to recognize that Ghostscript is available.

I've added the following code (found by searching the R-help archives)
to Renviron:

## Ghostscript
R_GSCMD=${RGSCMD='/usr/bin/gs'}

However, all that did was get me the following error message in R:

Error in bitmap("acaldi.bmp", res = 100) :
	sorry, 'gs' cannot be found
/bin/sh: line 1: gs: command not found

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I've done wrong/modifications I
need to make?

Thanks.

Jim Milks

Graduate Student