[R-SIG-Mac] graphviz

Michael Kubovy kubovy at virginia.edu
Sat Mar 18 15:27:20 CET 2006

Hi Seth,

I installed graphviz 2.8 downloaded from http://www.graphviz.org/pub/
graphviz/ARCHIVE/graphviz-2.8.tar.gz and compiled using the commands
./configure
make
make install

It apparently succeeded.

However:
% which graphviz
graphviz: Command not found.

Moreover in R I have Rgraphviz 1.8.0, but
 > library(Rgraphviz)
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
	unable to load shared library '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/
Resources/library/Rgraphviz/libs/Rgraphviz.so':
   dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/Rgraphviz/
libs/Rgraphviz.so, 6): Symbol not found: _agedgeattr
   Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/
Rgraphviz/libs/Rgraphviz.so
   Expected in: flat namespace
Error: .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'Rgraphviz'
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'Rgraphviz'

 > version
          _
platform powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0
arch     powerpc
os       darwin7.9.0
system   powerpc, darwin7.9.0
status
major    2
minor    2.1
year     2005
month    12
day      20
svn rev  36812
language R

Now to my request:

You wrote to Julin:
> If you installed a recent graphviz, then there is no dotneat-config
> script.  Instead, for the autoconf tools to work, you need the
> pkg-config program installed and PKG_CONFIG_PATH set appropriately
> (/blah/lib/pkgconfig).
>
> But it should also work to pass the --with-graphviz configure option.
> Something like:
>
> R CMD INSTALL --configure-args='--with-graphviz=/blah/graphviz' \
>     Rgraphviz_x.y.z.tar.gz

Could you please unpack the above to an extent appropriate to the
level of ignorance you see in my description? In other words I don't
know about autoconf, or pkg-config, nor how to set the
PKG_CONFIG_PATH  nor how to determine /blah/lib/pkgconfig what the
appropriate 'blah' is.

And just to make sure that I'm giving you all the information you
might need to help me: (1) FinkCommander tells me that I have
graphviz 1.9-11 installed. (2) I have Graphviz Version 1.13 (16) from
pixelglow. (I've successfully used it to generate graphs. As is
probably clear, I'm trying to integrate graphviz into my R toolkit,
which is not urgent, but would be satisfying.)

Thanks,
Michael
_____________________________
Professor Michael Kubovy
University of Virginia
Department of Psychology
USPS:     P.O.Box 400400    Charlottesville, VA 22904-4400
Parcels:    Room 102        Gilmer Hall
         McCormick Road    Charlottesville, VA 22903
Office:    B011    +1-434-982-4729
Lab:        B019    +1-434-982-4751
Fax:        +1-434-982-4766
WWW:    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mk9y/