[R-SIG-Mac] graphviz

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Sat Mar 18 21:56:29 CET 2006

Hi Michael,

Michael Kubovy <kubovy at virginia.edu> writes:
> Could you please unpack the above to an extent appropriate to the
> level of ignorance you see in my description? In other words I don't
> know about autoconf, or pkg-config, nor how to set the
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH  nor how to determine /blah/lib/pkgconfig what the
> appropriate 'blah' is.

I'll give it a shot.

> I installed graphviz 2.8 downloaded from http://www.graphviz.org/pub/
> graphviz/ARCHIVE/graphviz-2.8.tar.gz and compiled using the commands
> ./configure
> make
> make install

That's good.  The graphviz headers and libs are most likely somewhere
under /usr/local/.  That is the default "prefix" used for almost all
code when you do "./configure; make; make install".

Have look under /usr/local/lib or possibly /usr/local/lib/graphviz.
See if you can find a directory called pkgconfig that contains a file
called libgvc.pc.  Now let's assume you found this dir here:
/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig.

> And just to make sure that I'm giving you all the information you
> might need to help me: (1) FinkCommander tells me that I have
> graphviz 1.9-11 installed.

I think it will be better to try to use graphviz-2.8 which you
installed from source.  Since you are using fink, you can (and should)
install the pkgconfig package.  This will give you an executable named
pkg-config.

Now you can try the following:

   export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
   R CMD INSTALL Rgraphviz_1.8.0.tar.gz

The first line sets an environment variable.  You may need to adjust
the value to the actual path where you found the pkgconfig dir
containing libgvc.pc.  If you don't have the Rgraphviz source tarball
handy, you can either download it from the Bioconductor website, or
from the same shell where you just ran the export command to set the
environment variable, do

   > source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
   > biocLite("Rgraphviz")

Let us know how things turn out.

    Quick aside: if you want to install to a specific place, say
    GVIZ-TEST under you home directory, you could do this:

        mkdir ~/GVIZ-TEST
        cd graphviz-2.8
        ./configure --prefix=~/GVIZ-TEST
        make