[R-SIG-Mac] Quartz copy/paste bug?

Demitri Muna thatsanicehatyouhave at mac.com
Wed Mar 8 18:58:29 CET 2006

Hello,

I have been encountering an intermittent (!) problem when copying
from an R quartz window and pasting into another application. Often
it works without a problem, but sometimes one of two things will happen:

- If the quartz window I am copying is active, the full (rounded)
text field that displays the current working directory is
superimposed on the pasted plot. It is in the lower left corner (not
flush against the corner, but in that quadrant). Also, the text field
in flipped both vertically and horizontally.

- If the quartz window being copied is not active, another image,
again flipped as above, is overlaid onto my plot. This time, the
region of the title bar that contains text is what is there, but not
necessarily from the window I am copying from. For example, the
active window in my case now is device 4 (title is "Quartz (4) -
Inactive") and the text in the object in the pasted image is "Quartz
(3) - Inactive", although device 3 is actually labelled "Quartz (3) -
Active".

And actually, as I was creating plots to recreate this behaviour, I
was able to get both images superimposed onto the same pasted image.
I am attaching this image since it contains both overlays, but
usually I get one or the other.

When I have seen this in the past and have needed to "clean up" the
image, I copy and paste into Illustrator. There, it was a simple
matter to remove the text fields by selecting the objects and just
deleting them. This tells me that they are indeed composited onto my
plot.

Finally, I just closed the original window I created the plot in,
replotted, and the overlaid images went away. A second copy/paste,
and it reappeared.

Anyway, has this been seen before? Is it a known bug, or is it just me?

Cheers,

Demitri