[R-SIG-Mac] Rcmdr not running properly (OS X)

Kubovy Michael mk9y at mac.com
Sun Jun 25 22:41:23 CEST 2006

Dear Friends,

Rob Goedeman kindly responded to a request for help because Rcmdr was
not running properly on my machine. Because I had installed TclAqua
in an attempt to remedy earlier failures to run Rcmdr he suggested
the following:

> You can try to reinstall R.app from R-2.3.1.dmg and make sure
> you select to install the link to tcltk during the 4th or 5th step
> of the install of R (a customize button should
> show up in the lower left corner of the install window, select
> tcltk there).
>
> After the reinstall (libraries will remain intact), try 'library
> (Rcmdr)' again.

I followed his advice. However, it looks like tcltk is fine, but
there still is a problem:

***

 > library(Rcmdr)

Attaching package: 'car'

	The following object(s) are masked from file:/Users/mk/Documents/hh//
splus.library/HH/.RData :

	 vif

Error in parse(file, n, text, prompt) : syntax error in "*"
Error: .onAttach failed in 'attachNamespace'
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'Rcmdr'

***

The failure isn't complete, however. There does appear an 'R
Commander' X window. I can pull down menus. For example, I tried the
menu: 'Data:Data in packages:Read dataset from an attached package...'
I chose the 'Adler' dataset from the package 'car'. Nothing happened
(except for the spinning ball) until I cancelled the request in the
'Read Data from Package' window, after which my console showed:

Error in parse(file, n, text, prompt) : syntax error in "*"

***
FYI:

 > sessionInfo()
Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01)
powerpc-apple-darwin8.6.0

attached base packages:
[1] "tcltk"     "methods"   "stats"     "utils"     "datasets"
"graphics"
[7] "grid"      "grDevices" "base"

other attached packages:
      car multcomp  mvtnorm    abind  lattice
"1.1-0"  "0.4-8"  "0.7-2"  "1.1-0" "0.13-8"

***

Advice?

_____________________________
Professor Michael Kubovy
University of Virginia
Department of Psychology
USPS:     P.O.Box 400400    Charlottesville, VA 22904-4400
Parcels:    Room 102        Gilmer Hall
         McCormick Road    Charlottesville, VA 22903
Office:    B011    +1-434-982-4729
Lab:        B019    +1-434-982-4751
Fax:        +1-434-982-4766
WWW:    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mk9y/