[R-SIG-Mac] Problems installing rgdal from source

sj saimon at student.ethz.ch
Fri Jun 9 17:06:00 CEST 2006

Problem solved, installation of rgdal succeded.

>>> Any hints what I do wrong?
>> You put FINK on your OS X system and expected it to use
>> it for development with non-FINK software. Ditch FINK and
>> compile what you need yourself.
>
> Well, this would be an idea, but it worked quite well for me until now.
> [...]
> So the question is rather, why the configure script resp. the compiler does
> not find the file any more after the successful checks. Anyhow, I'll
> give it a try and compile it by hand.

I compiled and installed PROJ.4 under /usr/local. After this, the
installation with R CMD worked smoothly. Surprisingly, there was no need
to reinstall GDAL (installed with Fink). Apparently there is somewhere a
hardcoded path (this is my interpretation), ignoring the flags.

Thanks for your help.

Regards