[R-SIG-Mac] Problems installing rgdal from source

sj saimon at student.ethz.ch
Thu Jun 8 17:13:32 CEST 2006

Thanks for your quick reply.

>> Apparently it still cannot find the proj_api.h, although
>> the checks were ok.
>
> Is it possible that such a generically named header file
> actually is completely unrelated to the API in question?

No, proj_api.h:

/******************************************************************************
  * $Id: proj_api.h,v 1.10 2004/05/04 03:28:01 warmerda Exp $
  *
  * Project:  PROJ.4
  * Purpose:  Public (application) include file for PROJ.4 API, and
constants.
  * Author:   Frank Warmerdam, <warmerdam at pobox.com>
  *

>> Any hints what I do wrong?
>
> You put FINK on your OS X system and expected it to use
> it for development with non-FINK software. Ditch FINK and
> compile what you need yourself.

Well, this would be an idea, but it worked quite well for me until now.
I compiled things myself before on my Linux box and it took me a great
deal of time to figure out all the dependencies, correct versions of
dependencies and even sometimes the package/program the requested file
resided in. And finally it also ends up in a non standard location
(compared to a Linux machine). Perhaps I have a wrong understanding of
this, but what Fink basically does, is figuring out and automatically
installing the dependencies (of course into a non standard location). So
the question is rather, why the configure script resp. the compiler does
not find the file any more after the successful checks. Anyhow, I'll
give it a try and compile it by hand.

Thanks and regards