[R-SIG-Mac] Problems installing packages in 2.3.1

Bruce Boucek bboucek at mac.com
Fri Jun 9 16:12:59 CEST 2006

Are you installing packages at the System Level, At User Level, or in
another location?
I was running into similar problems. At first I thought it was because I
prefer to work in a standard User account for my day to day work and I use
an Administrator account for installing applications and system maintenance.
What I finally found to work was running the R Gui in an Administrator
account, using the R-Gui toolbar item that looks like a lock to "Authorize R
to run system commands as root", and installing the packages At System
Level. When doing this I run into many fewer errors when installing packages
via the GUI. And I can then go back to running R Gui in my User account.
I don't remember encountering the same difficulties prior to 2.3. My
instinctive guess is that either I have some permissions set up improperly
or that the package installers can no longer escalate the necessary
privileges to properly install. My second guess would be that perhaps the
package installers do not have access to some of the environment variables
that one would have set when working with R from the terminal.
Anyway, try the above, it should work.
Cheers

P.S. R is excellent and despite occasional glitches I believe it to be one
of the best tools for academics and researchers utilizing statistical
analyses and for visualizing their data.