[R-SIG-Mac] [Rd] [BioC] Errors using biocLite on Apple OS X

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Jul 19 16:18:13 CEST 2006

Steven,

short story: now fixed in R-devel. The long story:

On Jul 18, 2006, at 8:15 PM, Steven McKinney wrote:

> The warnings from
>
>  make.packages.html()
>
> on the Apple Mac OS X platform can be dealt
> with as follows:

The warning appears for a completely different reason -
make.packages.html() assumes that HTML help was started and created
all necessary links which is not the case in the R Mac OS X GUI,
until you request one of the temporarily generated pages. The idea of
make.packages.html is to update the  temporary copy of HTML
documentation on installation such that packages list is up-to-date,
but since the R GUI generates the files only on-demand, there is no
need for such update if no temporary documentation was requested yet,
and so updating doesn't make sense (and the warning can be ignored).
The correct fix is not not run make.packages.html() at all if the
temporarily generated list doesn't exist and I have fixed that now
for R-devel.

All your 'work-arounds' are bogus - may have asked on R-SIG-Mac to
save you the trouble of going in a completely wrong direction -  just
invoke the main help page (<Cmd><?>) before installing and the
temporary help files will be created.

> (1)
>
> make.packages.html() uses the function tempdir() and attempts to
> create a temporary directory in the default location /tmp/ which
> fails due to the /tmp directory architecture on the Mac.

This is of course nonsense. Mac OS X uses /tmp as many other unix
systems do and it is available (tempdir() works as well).

> (2)
>
> The function make.packages.html() attempts to create a couple of
> files, but fails on Mac OS X. Apparently a directory must already
> exist for file.create() to successfully establish a new file in it.

Yes, it fails because it expects the help system to have created them
already and you're not supposed to mess with that manually. (Again,
this is not Mac-specific - until help.start is invoked, the
directories are not there on any unix).

> However, when biocLite() runs, it does not access my redefined
> make.packages.html() in .Globalenv - the bioclite() call appears to
> always call the package:utils copy of this function.

Yes, that is intentional, thanks to namespaces.

> Thanks to Herve Pages for his excellent summarization of the issues
> arising when running biocLite on the Mac.

For the record, the other warning mentioned appears when installing
from empty repositories - it is not Mac specific. (The lindsey
repository is empty on Bioc, because none of the packages compiles).
I have now also committed the fix (thanks to Seth for the correct
analysis and fix).

>>> biocLite("Biobase", destdir =