[R-SIG-Mac] ftp on new macs

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Sat Jul 8 00:33:36 CEST 2006

On my new macbook I have had trouble sending things to CRAN by ftp. This
message is intended to provide help for people with similar difficulties,
and to see if there are better solutions.

The ftp client tries to use Extended Passive Mode for the transfer, and
nothing happens until it times out (except that a zero-length file is
created at the other end, preventing a second try). I don't know whether
the problem is in the firewall or at CRAN, but in any case it doesn't
work.

Something that does work is to use the ftp command
   epsv4
at the start of the session (at least before the put command).  This makes
the ftp client use the old-fashioned passive mode rather than extended
passive mode.  It seems that there should be a better solution, but I
don't know what it is.

 	-thomas