[R-SIG-Mac] Error: package 'RODBC' was built for universal-apple-darwin8.6.1

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Jul 6 15:48:41 CEST 2006

Randy,

On Jul 5, 2006, at 11:43 AM, Randall C. Johnson [Contr] wrote:

> I recently installed RODBC (binary) on my G4 PowerBook, and I am
> not able to load the library (I thought I had it working at one
> point). I also tried installing from source, but I have other
> issues there... Any ideas? I did upgrade to 10.4.7 this morning,
> could that have something to do with it?
>
>> library(RODBC) # binary installation
> Error: package 'RODBC' was built for universal-apple-darwin8.6.1

It seems that you have compiled R from sources as non-universal
binary, so you're pretty much on your own, because that is not
compatible with the CRAN binary of R.

>> library(RODBC) # source installation
> Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
>     unable to load shared library
> '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.3/Resources/library/
> RODBC/libs/R ODBC.so':
>
> dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.3/Resources/
> library/RODBC/libs/RODBC.so, 6): Symbol not found: _libintl_dgettext

Pretty much the same answer - try re-compiling R and RODBC (also
don't forget to delete the previously installed binary package!).
According to the log you're using fink which supplies its own libintl
so my guess would be that it's one of the problems. It's not uncommon
that things break in fink after OS updates, but that's just a wild
guess, so you may want to update your fink as well (or don't use it
for R - sometimes it causes more harm than good due to compiler issues).

If you want to avoid having to compile everything yourself, my actual
recommendation would be to use the CRAN binary to avoid problems like
that, so you can use binary packages.