[R-SIG-Mac] Error: package 'RODBC' was built for universal-apple-darwin8.6.1

Randall C. Johnson [Contr] randy.n.julie at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 17:43:19 CEST 2006

Hello,
I recently installed RODBC (binary) on my G4 PowerBook, and I am not able to
load the library (I thought I had it working at one point). I also tried
installing from source, but I have other issues there... Any ideas? I did
upgrade to 10.4.7 this morning, could that have something to do with it?

Thanks,
Randy

> library(RODBC) # binary installation
Error: package 'RODBC' was built for universal-apple-darwin8.6.1

> library(RODBC) # source installation
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
    unable to load shared library
'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.3/Resources/library/RODBC/libs/R
ODBC.so':

dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.3/Resources/library/RODBC/
libs/RODBC.so, 6): Symbol not found: _libintl_dgettext
  Referenced from:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.3/Resources/library/RODBC/libs/RO
DBC.so
  Expected in: flat namespace
Error: .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'RODBC'
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'RODBC'

> sessionInfo()
Version 2.3.1 Patched (2006-06-27 r38436)
powerpc-apple-darwin8.6.0

attached base packages:
[1] "methods"   "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets"
"base"

### Here is the output from the source installation:

Barney:~/R-packs/base rjohnson$ sudo R CMD INSTALL RODBC_1.1-7.tar.gz
* Installing *source* package 'RODBC' ...
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking sql.h usability... yes
checking sql.h presence... yes
checking for sql.h... yes
checking sqlext.h usability... yes
checking sqlext.h presence... yes
checking for sqlext.h... yes
checking for library containing SQLTables... -liodbc
checking for SQLLEN... yes
checking for SQLULEN... yes
checking for long... yes
checking size of long... 4
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating src/Makevars
config.status: creating src/config.h
** libs
gcc -no-cpp-precomp -I/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/include
-I/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/include -I.  -I/sw/include
-I/usr/local/include   -fPIC -fno-common  -g -O2 -std=gnu99 -c RODBC.c -o
RODBC.o
gcc -flat_namespace -bundle -undefined suppress -L/sw/lib -L/usr/local/lib
-o RODBC.so RODBC.o -liodbc  -lcc_dynamic
-F/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/.. -framework R
** R
** inst
** preparing package for lazy loading
** help
 >>> Building/Updating help pages for package 'RODBC'
     Formats: text html latex example
  RODBC-internal                    text    html    latex
  RODBC                             text    html    latex   example
  RODBCtables                       text    html    latex   example
  odbc                              text    html    latex
  odbcClose                         text    html    latex
  odbcConnect                       text    html    latex   example
  odbcErrors                        text    html    latex
  odbcGetInfo                       text    html    latex   example
  odbcSetAutoCommit                 text    html    latex
  setSqlTypeInfo                    text    html    latex   example
  sqlCopy                           text    html    latex   example
  sqlFetch                          text    html    latex   example
  sqlQuery                          text    html    latex   example
  sqlSave                           text    html    latex   example
  sqlTables                         text    html    latex   example
  sqlTypeInfo                       text    html    latex
** building package indices ...
* DONE (RODBC)

Randall C Johnson
Bioinformatics Analyst