[R-SIG-Mac] New intel based laptops

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at cuddyvalley.org
Thu Jan 19 18:33:26 CET 2006

Both Simon and I have working versions of a native R -- Simon may
also have a fat binary. We use both gcc/gfortran and the beta
versions of the Intel compilers. Things are not smooth yet because
the Intel compilers are pretty beta and don't know about bundles,
while gfortran must be gobbled together from various bits and pieces.

On Jan 19, 2006, at 07:13 , Cox, Stephen wrote:

> Folks - please forgive a rather uninformed post from a poor soul who
> bailed out on the mac os several years ago...  I am considering the
> purchase of a new MacBook Pro; however, I rely heavily on R for my
> teaching and research.  I am assuming that the current binary of v.
> 2.2.1 will work through the Rosetta engine, but - anyone have a
> guess as
> to how long it will be before a native binary is available (I am no
> prorgammer, and it would take me months to try to figure out how to
> compile, especially in uncharted warters)?  Anyone know of any
> problems
> I should be aware of?
>
> Any input would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Stephen Cox

Jan de Leeuw, 11667 Steinhoff Rd, Frazier Park, CA 93225, 661-245-1725
.mac: jdeleeuw ++++++  aim: deleeuwjan ++++++ skype: j_deleeuw
homepages: http://www.cuddyvalley.org and http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu