[R-SIG-Mac] Building R to use quartz devices from the command line

Matthew Cohen owlofminerva at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jan 17 23:15:12 CET 2006

With some very kind help from Jan, I have built R such that it can
utilize quartz devices from the command line on my iMac G5 (running
OS 10.4.4).  My understanding is that I cannot use the R.app anymore,
but that's a trade-off I can live with for now.

My problem is that I cannot seem to get the same thing to work on my
iBook G3 (also running 10.4.4).  Building and installing seems to
work just fine, but upon running the program and using the
install.packages() command, the Aqua tcltk device opens and runs long
enough for me to choose a CRAN mirror, but then crashes soon
afterwards (crashing R as well), and returning the message
"Segmentation fault".  I haven't had a chance to mess around with
this build too much, but everything else I've tried seems to work
fine.  I can even open and use a quartz device, which is (so far as I
can tell) completely interactive.

Here's the configure command I used:

./configure
	\ --with-blas='-framework vecLib'
	\ --with-lapack
	\ --with-tcl-config=/System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/
tclConfig.sh
	\ --with-tk-config=/System/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/tkConfig.sh

Any ideas what I might have done wrong?  Also, I realize I might need
to reproduce the crash in debug mode in order to isolate the problem,
but how is this done?  Also, should I post the crash log?

Thanks

Matt