[R-SIG-Mac] warnings when installing "qtl" package

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Feb 24 19:10:45 CET 2006

Radku,

warning 1 is ok, R re-defines the signgam function that is also
provided by the system library

warning 2 comes from the fact that you are using an unusual
combination of settings that generates an invalid locale not
supported by the system (english language with czech locale)*.

You can select czech language in the "System Preferences"-
 >"International"->"Language" (you will have to click on "Edit
List.." to make "Čeština" visible in the list) - that will lead to
cs_CZ.UTF-8 locale which is valid.

Another alternative is to force the R GUI to select other locale
independently of your system settings, so you could use for example

defaults write org.R-project.R force.LANG en_US.UTF-8
or
defaults write org.R-project.R force.LANG cs_CZ.UTF-8

or any other valid locale (make sure it's UTF-8, though).

Cheers,
Šimon

* - in a sense this is R GUI's fault, but there is no canonical
locale defined in OS X, so all we can do is guess and we're combining
the language and locale settings to create one canonical locale. This
won't work for combinations like yours, because then we need separate
LC_ALL and LANG. This is why we recommend manual override with
force.LANG in the defaults in such cases. We have to specify a
locale, because R GUI can only handle UTF-8 encoding.