[R-SIG-Mac] tutorials and statistical aspect

Martin Henry H. Stevens HStevens at MUOhio.edu
Wed Feb 8 18:27:04 CET 2006

Hi Gil,
You can pretty much do anything in R, often in several ways,
depending on your personal taste.
For Split-plot ANOVA with both random and fixed factors
you might start with

@book{Pinheiro2000,
	Address = {New York},
	Author = {J. Pinheiro and D. Bates},
	Publisher = {Springer},
	Title = {Mixed-effects {M}odels in {S} and {S}-{PLUS}},
	Year = {2000}}

On Feb 8, 2006, at 10:56 AM, benn at bgu.ac.il wrote:

>> There are lots of tutorials at
> <http://cran.r-project.org/other-docs.html>.
>
> I have those of course. I was looking for further tutorials.
>
>> What do you mean the "statistical aspect" of R?
>
> I mean using and building statistical models for data analysis
> specifying the possibilities of variations appearing in R. An example
> would be specifying Split-plot ANOVA with both random and fixed
> factors.
> A lot of the tutorials in above url try to explain R as a programming
> language and therefore cannot allow too many explanation. That is the
> case of "Jack of all trades... etc." R is useful for quite a lot of
> things, however I'm looking for something like a statistics course in
> R.
> Just to prevent misunderstanding, I do own, and am familiar with,
> exhaustive statistical texts. So I don't exactly need a course in
> statistics.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> 	Gil

Dr. Martin Henry H. Stevens, Assistant Professor
338 Pearson Hall
Botany Department
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056