[R-SIG-Mac] R EPS graphics and PDFs from Word Documents

Michael wuolong at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 18:57:23 CET 2006

On  7 Nov 2006, Daniel Smith wrote:

> > Microsoft Word does not handle EPS nor PDF graphics properly. If you
> > want to embed your graphic in a word document, the best option is to
> > save as jpeg from R. The quality of the figure is good enough.
> >

> I have had the best results saving the R graphic as pdf (default), then
> using Apple's Preview program to convert it to png.  When pasted into
> Word or PowerPoint, the png graphic can be resized, opened in Windows,
> etc. and still looks good.

The vector-graphics format recognized by MS Word is EMF/WMF, which
unfortunately can not be easily produced on a Mac. (R for Windows can).

I have found that it is possible to convert a EPS file to a PICT file using
GraphicsConverter.  PICT is the old (pre OS X era, before the conversion to
PDF) vector graphics system on Macs.  Word on Mac seems to deal with PICT
files OK.

Michael