[R-SIG-Mac] Installing packages from .gz files

Tim Cole tim.cole at ich.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Dec 13 00:13:23 CET 2006

Thanks to Paul Roebuck and Walton A. Green, I now realise it is a
Source Package not a Binary Package, and I install the .tar.gz file,
but I still get this error when I Install:

WARNING: ignoring environment value of R_HOME
* Installing *source* package 'gamlss' ...
** libs
** arch - ppc
** Removing
** Restoring previous
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/SHLIB: line 1: make:
command not found
No such file or directory
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'gamlss'

This happens with the package installer or from the command line, and
authenticating makes no difference. Why is the make command not found?

At 16:23 +0000 11/12/06, Tim Cole wrote:
>I've been given an updated version of the gamlss package as a
>.tar.gz file, but I'm struggling to install it with the package
>installer. I specify Local Binary Package at the top, but when I
>Install and select the file I get errors whichever of the three
>possible files I point to - the .tar.gz file or .tar file or the
>gamlss folder. What am I doing wrong?
>The .gz file error is:
>Error in gzfile(file, "r") : unable to open connection
>In addition: Warning message:
>cannot open compressed file 'gamlss_1.4-6.tar.gz/DESCRIPTION'
>Tim Cole

Tim.Cole at ich.ucl.ac.uk   Phone +44(0)20 7905 2666  Fax +44(0)20 7905 2381
Paed Epidemiology & Biostats, Institute of Child Health, London WC1N 1EH, UK