[R-SIG-Mac] problem with R prompt on MAC

Tom Cook cook at biostat.wisc.edu
Mon Apr 10 17:30:34 CEST 2006

I sent the following message out a few weeks ago regarding the
disappearance of the R prompt.  I didn't get any responses, but I've
done some more digging and here's what I found out.  In the source
file main.c there is a routine defined as follows:

char *R_PromptString(int browselevel, int type)
{
    if (R_Slave) {
	BrowsePrompt[0] = '\0';
	return BrowsePrompt;
    }
    else {
	if(type == 1) {
	    if(browselevel) {
		sprintf(BrowsePrompt, "Browse[%d]> ", browselevel);
	  .
	  .
	  .

I replaced the `if(R_Slave) {' with `if(0) {' (forcing execution of
the `else' clause) and recompiled and the prompt problem I described
is fixed.  Apparently `R_Slave' is being set (at least of the purpose
of this routine) even though I don't run R with the `--slave' option.
On the other hand, other output normally suppressed by `--slave' still
shows up (and it asks about saving the workspace when I exit), so this
behavior doesn't seem to be global.  Of course, now if I run R with
the `--slave' option, other output is suppressed, but I still get the
prompt, however, since I don't have a reason to use `--slave' at this
moment, this is not a problem for me.

My c skills are pretty rudimentary, so I have no idea what could be
causing this problem in the first place.  Even though I'm now back up
and running, this is clearly the wrong fix.  Any idea what the root
cause is and what the right fix is?

Thanks,

Tom