[R-SIG-Mac] shared library

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Wed Sep 28 18:28:01 CEST 2005

On 28 Sep 2005, mendes.richard at gmail.com wrote:

> hello everybody
>
> currently i'm doing an intern ship where my assignment is building a
> pipeline between a database and r ,this has to be written in
> python. I build R from the source to try and create a shared library
> so that you can create an interface using the rpy package from
> python.
>
> the problem is that when i build R from the source like the readme
> tells me it still doesn't create a shared library. this is what the
> readme tells me to do
>
> make distclean
> ./configure --enable-R-shlib
> make
> make install

Things are a bit different on OS X.  I've been running configure like
this:

../../src/R-devel/configure --with-blas="-framework vecLib" \
  --with-lapack --with-aqua

I'm not sure if one still needs to specify all of these with the
latest R-devel.

With this configure I get in my build dir $TOP/lib/libR.dylib and this
may be what you need for rpy (haven't tried, not sure).

> put the following line in your .bashrc (or equivalent)
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:RHOME/bin
> run 'ldconfig'

Pretty sure that on OS X what you want is DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH and so
adding the lib dir might be worth a try.

HTH,

+ seth