[R-SIG-Mac] vecLib and building R from source

Kjell Konis konis at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 1 03:54:34 CEST 2005

On 31 Aug 2005, at 18:21, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2005, at 8:11 PM, Kjell Konis wrote:
>

>> I have both the gcc3.4.4 compilers and the gcc4.0.1 compilers.  When
>> I use 3.4.4 the configure script does not link against the blas in
>> vecLib but it does when I use 4.0.1.
>>

> That is strange - did you use --with-blas='-framework vecLib' --
> with-lapack ? If so, please send me your config.log.
> As of R-devel that is the default now, but for R 2.1.1 you need to
> specify it. You may also want to add F77=g77 if you have both
> gfortran and g77 around just to make sure.

Here is my environment:
CPPFLAGS="-I/Volumes/muffin/DarwinPorts/include"
LDFLAGS="-L/Volumes/muffin/DarwinPorts/lib"
F77=g77-dp-3.4
CC=gcc-dp-3.4
CXX=g++-dp-3.4

and my configure command:
./configure --with-blas="-framework vecLib" --with-lapack \
             --with-tcl-config="/Volumes/muffin/DarwinPorts/lib/
tclConfig.sh" \
             --with-tk-config="/Volumes/muffin/DarwinPorts/lib/
tkConfig.sh" \
             --disable-R-framework

(I still prefer a unixy R)

The output from configure:

R is now configured for powerpc-apple-darwin8.2.0

   Source directory:          .
   Installation directory:    /Volumes/muffin/DarwinPorts

   C compiler:                gcc-dp-3.4  -g -O2
   C++ compiler:              g++-dp-3.4  -g -O2
   Fortran compiler:          g77-dp-3.4  -g -O2

   Interfaces supported:      X11, tcltk
   External libraries:        readline
   Additional capabilities:   PNG, JPEG, iconv, MBCS, NLS
   Options enabled:           R profiling

   Recommended packages:      yes

The attached config.log is for this configuration.  It appears not to
find sgemm in vecLib so decides not to use it.

If I do the same as above except use gcc-dp-4.0, g++-dp-4.0, and
gfortran-dp-4.0 (which are all stock gcc4.0.1 compilers but have been
renamed) then the configure script output is:

R is now configured for powerpc-apple-darwin8.2.0

   Source directory:          .
   Installation directory:    /Volumes/muffin/DarwinPorts

   C compiler:                gcc-dp-4.0  -g -O2
   C++ compiler:              g++-dp-4.0  -g -O2
   Fortran compiler:          gfortran-dp-4.0  -g -O2

   Interfaces supported:      X11, tcltk
   External libraries:        readline, BLAS(generic), LAPACK(in blas)
   Additional capabilities:   PNG, JPEG, iconv, MBCS, NLS
   Options enabled:           R profiling

   Recommended packages:      yes

>> However, I remember seeing an email here that said use the 3.4.x
>> compilers unless you have a good reason not to (and the good
>> reason was wanting a 64 bit build which I  don't).  Is this still
>> the prevailing wisdom?
>>

> Yes, there are still problems with 4.x - mainly with gfortran (it
> still segfaults on simple Fortran code and is slower than g77). We
> have worked around some of the show-stoppers in R-devel, but it's
> still not recommended.
>>   I want a safe, stable,  useable build.  Is it better to use
>> 3.4.4 w/o vecLib or 4.0.1 w/ vecLib?
>>

> 3.3 with vecLib is the recommended way and that is how the CRAN
> binary is built (and the proper g77 compiler is included in the
> binary).

I guess I still need some more compilers then.

> Cheers,
> Simon

Thanks for your help.

Kjell