[R-SIG-Mac] installing packages message

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sat Oct 29 11:42:49 CEST 2005

David,

On Oct 29, 2005, at 4:56 AM, David Airey wrote:

> I have installed version 2.2.0 or R and I am getting a message when
> trying to install packages I've not seen before. Can anyone explain
> this?

This message is present for quite a while now, because it was not
possible to install binary packages as root due to permission issues
during the installation process. What the message tells you are two
things:
1) you should be admin in order to install system-wide packages
2) the CRAN binary of R has the rights set up in such a way that
admin users can install system-wide packages. If you compile R from
sources, it's not the case.

Installing packages as root should not be necessary unless you
compiled your own R and didn't run chmod g+w as recommended. There
are a few issues with installing binary packages as root (such
packages can only be updated as root and depending on the packaging
may have unwanted permissions), but it's possible when done manually.
Nevertheless the installation process has been changed in R 2.2.0 so
maybe we should re-evaluate the impact.

Thanks,