[R-SIG-Mac] R-app crashes when saving quartz graphics to pdf

Denis Chabot chabotd at globetrotter.net
Fri Oct 28 19:57:07 CEST 2005

Hi Simon,
Le 05-10-28 à 13:29, Simon Urbanek a écrit :

> Denis,
>
> On Oct 28, 2005, at 4:59 PM, Denis Chabot wrote:
>

>> Hi, today I repeatedly crashed R-app when trying to save a quartz
>> windows. I deleted my org.R-project.R.plist file but it did not help.
>>

> Can you send us, please, a reproducible example (i.e. the R code
> you used)? From the crash log it seems that your R code caused an R
> error which in turn bombed the GUI when it was trying to print that
> error. Also, please tell us which locale you used, because it
> appears it was not English (it's highly probable that a localized
> message caused that problem).
>
> Thanks,
> Simon

First the locale. I am not very familiar with this. Does this give
you the information you need?

 > Sys.getlocale()
[1] "fr_CA.UTF-8/fr_CA.UTF-8/fr_CA.UTF-8/C/fr_CA.UTF-8/fr_CA.UTF-8"

I know that R speaks to me in French at the beginning of a session:
R : Copyright 2005, The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Version 2.2.0  (2005-10-06 r35749)
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

R est un logiciel libre livré sans AUCUNE GARANTIE.
Vous pouvez le redistribuer sous certaines conditions.
Tapez 'license()' ou 'licence()' pour plus de détails.

R est un projet collaboratif avec de nombreux contributeurs.
Tapez 'contributors()' pour plus d'information et
'citation()' pour la façon de le citer dans les publications.

Tapez 'demo()' pour des démonstrations, 'help()' pour l'aide
en ligne ou 'help.start()' pour obtenir l'aide au format HTML.
Tapez 'q()' pour quitter R.

[Previously saved workspace restored]

I am able to reproduce the problem with this program:
dumx <- c(0,7)
dumy <- c(-20, 180)
ing_neg1.5 <- c(3.5319, 11.725)
ing_0 <- c(3.0845, 26.101)
ing_1.5 <- c(-2.4271, 31.5245)
ing_3 <- c(9.1099, 17.4665)

plot(dumy~dumx, type="n", xlab="masse", ylab="ingestion J/j")
abline(ing_neg1.5, col="black")
abline(ing_0, col="blue")
abline(ing_1.5, col="green")
abline(ing_3, col="red")
legend(0,160, c("-1.5", "0", "1.5", "3"), lty=c(1,1,1,1), col=c
("black", "blue", "green", "red"))

but, and it is a big but because I think I've put my finger on the
problem, R crashes only if, in the "save" dialog box, I navigate to
this folder:

"~/Documents/Crabe/Bilan énergétique (Kirsten)/Article", although the
file name I use after this does not matter.

Hence R (the save dialog anyway) does not like this pathname, I don't
know if it is the accent, the brackets, or else. But saving to my
desktop does not crash R.

Funny thing about this pathname business is that if use the pdf
device and save directly in the folder indicated by this pathname, R
does not crash and the plot gets saved.

Sincerely,

Denis