[R-SIG-Mac] RMySQL problem

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Oct 28 11:47:24 CEST 2005

On Oct 27, 2005, at 9:41 PM, Parlamis Franklin wrote:

> Thanks for reply, Simon.  This is what I got when I executed the
> 'ranlib' command you suggested.
>
> ranlib: file: /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(my_pthread.o)
> has no symbols

This is normal and irrelevant - those are just warnings telling you
that there were object files that export no symbols which is ok.

> I subsequently reinstalled the entire MySQL binary (which includes
> the C API).

Did you test the library *after* running ranlib and *before*
reinstalling? That was the crucial point.

>   However, I am still getting the same error.  Is it possible that
> MySQL is distributing a corrupted library with their latest product?

If you still get the error after running ranlib then yes.

> What would I do differently if I were to install MySQL from source?

Nothing - you'd just get a working libmysqlclient.a (hopefully - you
should probably use --enable-static when configuring mysql).

> The one thing that truly perplexes me is why the package RMySQL
> worked perfectly under the prior version of R and only stopped
> working when I upgraded to the latest version of R (problem
> occurred before I upgraded MySQL)

The client library is compiled statically, so a change of mysql
afterwards makes no difference. Only with updated R you need to re-
compile RMySQL (so it seems), hence the libmysqlclient library is
needed. Then mysql version matters.