[R-SIG-Mac] RMySQL problem

Parlamis Franklin fparlamis at mac.com
Thu Oct 27 21:41:08 CEST 2005

Thanks for reply, Simon.  This is what I got when I executed the
'ranlib' command you suggested.

ranlib: file: /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(my_pthread.o) has
no symbols
ranlib: file: /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(my_thr_init.o)
has no symbols
ranlib: file: /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(thr_mutex.o) has
no symbols
ranlib: file: /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(my_port.o) has no
symbols
ranlib: file: /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(strmov.o) has no
symbols
ranlib: file: /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(bcmp.o) has no
symbols
ranlib: file: /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(bmove.o) has no
symbols
ranlib: file: /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(longlong2str.o)
has no symbols
ranlib: file: /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(strtoull.o) has
no symbols
ranlib: file: /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(strtoll.o) has no
symbols
ranlib: file: /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(viossl.o) has no
symbols
ranlib: file: /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a
(viosslfactories.o) has no symbols

I subsequently reinstalled the entire MySQL binary (which includes
the C API).  However, I am still getting the same error.  Is it
possible that MySQL is distributing a corrupted library with their
latest product?  What would I do differently if I were to install
MySQL from source?

The one thing that truly perplexes me is why the package RMySQL
worked perfectly under the prior version of R and only stopped
working when I upgraded to the latest version of R (problem occurred
before I upgraded MySQL)