[R-SIG-Mac] R.app bundle keys

Paul Roebuck roebuck at mdanderson.org
Fri Oct 28 09:22:50 CEST 2005

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Oct 26, 2005, at 8:27 AM, Paul Roebuck wrote:
>
> > Suggest adding the following required application key
> > in 'Info.plist' immediately prior to CFBundleVersion.
>
> It is already present in the localized Info.plist. I agree that it
> may be unnecessary, as we currently don't localize it, but it is
> easier to maintain the top-level version in one file.

Not sure I followed what you wrote here. The CRAN version
of R.app binary I downloaded does not have this key in
'Info.plist' (where it is documented to be required) although
I saw it exists in 'InfoPlist.strings'. Wrote original
message in case this had simply been overlooked (or accidentally
deleted). Nonetheless, if the key is not being localized,
why put it in the localization file?

Also made the assumption (not having reviewed the XCode project
settings) that version strings were build-setting substitution
markers. If version numbers are currently hardcoded, these
links might simplify the build process.

<http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/?p=32>  # app version string
<http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/?p=23>  # subversion build number

> > Format for the following two keys in the 'InfoPlist.strings' does
> > not currently match the suggested format. For 10.4, Apple
> > recommends not adding the version information to
> > CFBundleGetInfoString but since the same build services both
> > Panther and Tiger, this change is not yet feasible.
>
> We may change it when we move our binary target to 10.4 (possibly for
> R 2.3). It is only of cosmetic value and works even with Tiger very
> well, so currently I see no compelling reason to change it.

Outside not matching Apple's recommended format, there
wasn't one. The strings I provided were compatible with
both Panther and Tiger, just written using Panther-style
formatting. I could have written that portion of my previous
post a little more clearly - my bad.