[R-SIG-Mac] loading Rcmdr, R-Tcl/Tk errors due to X11

stefano iacus jago at mclink.it
Sat Oct 22 13:17:50 CEST 2005

On 22/ott/05, at 04:26, Bill Northcott wrote:

> On 21/10/2005, at 8:00 PM, stefano iacus wrote:
>
>>> A: This is expected behavior in the Xauthority authentication
>>> mechanism which X11 for Mac OS X uses by default. The problem is
>>> that Xauth uses two keys, the ip address and hostname of the system
>>> running the X server. But these keys don't get updated if you
>>> change the network configuration. You can disable authentication
>>> from the "Security" tab of X11.app's preferences. Be aware that
>>> doing so may create a security hole.
>>>

>> thanks Thomas. So the answer to James' problem is that we can't do
>> anything special in R/R.app to solve this as this is a general OS X
>> issue.
>>

> Surely this is not a MacOS X issue but an X11 one.  People don't
> usually run X11 on notebooks.
ummh, this is not true in my opinion... but ok, the issue is in X11
not in OS X.

> So it only tends to arise with a
> Powerbook.
>
> Of course the solution really does lie with R.app, but it is also non-
> trivial.  Since the introduction of Tiger some months back, Tcl/tk is
> a standard part of MacOS X.  The problem is that R.app is not
> friendly to Aqua Tcl/Tk extensions of R.  So it would be good to fix
> this, if someone has the time, skills and inclination.  I have the
> last but I am very short of the first two.

to make R.app aqua-tcltk friendly needs internal change in R-Event-
Loop. This is a long going discussion in R-core and different
approaches were proposed. It is not a trivial change, but when done
everything should work out-of-the-box with R.app.

stefano