[R-SIG-Mac] loading Rcmdr, R-Tcl/Tk errors due to X11

Bill Northcott w.northcott at unsw.edu.au
Sat Oct 22 04:26:37 CEST 2005

On 21/10/2005, at 8:00 PM, stefano iacus wrote:
>> A: This is expected behavior in the Xauthority authentication
>> mechanism which X11 for Mac OS X uses by default. The problem is
>> that Xauth uses two keys, the ip address and hostname of the system
>> running the X server. But these keys don't get updated if you
>> change the network configuration. You can disable authentication
>> from the "Security" tab of X11.app's preferences. Be aware that
>> doing so may create a security hole.
>>

> thanks Thomas. So the answer to James' problem is that we can't do
> anything special in R/R.app to solve this as this is a general OS X
> issue.

Surely this is not a MacOS X issue but an X11 one.  People don't
usually run X11 on notebooks.  So it only tends to arise with a
Powerbook.

Of course the solution really does lie with R.app, but it is also non-
trivial.  Since the introduction of Tiger some months back, Tcl/tk is
a standard part of MacOS X.  The problem is that R.app is not
friendly to Aqua Tcl/Tk extensions of R.  So it would be good to fix
this, if someone has the time, skills and inclination.  I have the
last but I am very short of the first two.

Bill Northcott